3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. water
2 cups chocolate chips or one 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, sugar and water; heat just to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in one cup only of chocolate chips and the vanilla. Stir until chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Stir in remaining chocolate chips (and nuts, if desired).
- Spread in a greased 9" square pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- This is easily doubled for a 9"x13" pan -- bake 35-45 minutes.
These brownies are very thick and rich. If you have a pan that's a little larger than 9" square, they'll come out closer to traditional brownie thickness. I also don't think there's any need to frost them because they're so dense. Definitely taste one before you lather on more sweetness.
Boy, just writing all this down makes me want to go bake a batch. Too bad they like my thighs so well.